How does OGP work?
Under the OGP, all participating countries are required to develop a Two – Year National Action Plan to implement good governance initiatives in collaboration with civil society. The OGP guidelines require that national action plans are developed through a multi stakeholder process with the active engagement of citizens and civil society building on the following core values.
- Public participation based on the belief that those who are affected by a decision have a right to be involved in the decision-making process.
- Public participation includes the promise that the public’s contribution will influence the decision.
- Public participation promotes sustainable decisions by recognizing and communicating the needs and interests of all participants, including decision makers.
- Public participation seeks out and facilitates the involvement of those potentially affected by or interested in a decision.
- Public participation seeks input from participants in designing how they participate.
- Public participation provides participants with the information they need to participate in a meaningful way.
- Public participation communicates to participants how their input affected the decision.